Monday, September 8, 2008

It's Time!

I was enjoying myself and having my own little personal party in the hospital room waiting for those contractions to really kick in!
Family members were there waiting anxiously for Tanner to arrive!

You could tell from the anesthesiologist's face that C sections are VERY SERIOUS business! ;)
Tim is prepped and ready to go!
Our first interaction with our newborn son.






I fell asleep Saturday night with no intention of waking up and heading to the hospital but that's exactly what happened. At 2:30 AM my water broke and Tim and I rushed out of the house to the hospital. For some reason, I thought that once your water broke, you had a short period of time before you start pushing (probably from the movies!) so I was panicked about getting to the hospital. Little did I know that I would be in that hospital for 21 hours waiting to start pushing. Turns out, I never was able to push. Even though my contractions were regular and intense enough to deliver (thanks to being helped along by the Pitocin) I was only dilated 4 cm and after 8 hours, still had not dilated more. My doctor thought that Tanner was either sideways or too big for me to deliver naturally so she had to recommend a C section. I was devastated and scared by this but we trusted completely in God and knew he had this plan for us all along. So I was prepped and whisked away and within about 5 minutes of being in the operating room I heard the wonderful sound of a baby cry and relief immediately washed over me and I knew right then that every ounce of pain or anxiety from that day and any other day the past 9 months was worth it. Even though I could hear Tanner crying, I couldn't see him. Tim told me he had dark hair and was healthy, 10 fingers, 10 toes. When I finally laid eyes on him I was stunned by how perfect and beautiful he was - even covered in all that goo! I didn't want to take my eyes off him. It was absolutely love at first sight. He was born at 11:39 PM on Sunday, August 31st, weighing 8 pounds, 2 ounces and 20 inches long.

No comments: